Monday, September 7, 2009

The last day of summer

School starts tomorrow and I really didn’t want to wait any longer, so I put on the mustache today. I got a few weird looks at the office supply store where we bought lined paper and the farm stand where we bought basil. A glance would become a stare for just a few moments. Maybe I was just being paranoid when I thought people were talking about me.
At the ice cream store I was served by a friend who probably knew better than to comment. I forgot that I had anything on my face. I surprised myself when I looked in the mirror. It was heartening. It was what I needed.
“You really have to wear the ‘stache in more controversial places,” said my sister. Do I? If I stay safe and comfortable, am I accomplishing what I want to accomplish? What do I want to accomplish, again?
I guess I can’t figure that out unless I keep this up. It's the tragic last day of summer, and school is going to impede my life, but I’ll try not to be a week before I’m here again.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I hope the first day of school wasn't too horrendous...

    ReplyDelete