Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What've you got on your face?

Yesterday I bought a pack of eyebrow pencils. (The pack had two pencils AND a sharpener. Bonus!)
I was ready to debut the mustache in the Real Real World when I went to the library today. I was scared. I stayed in the children’s section shelf-reading. A girl who knew my sister’s name but not mine said, “What’ve you got on your face?”
“A mustache.” I smiled nonchalantly.
She said, “Okayyyyy….” but she and her mom smiled too.
Why was I scared? I don’t know. But why didn’t I venture into the teen section? I don’t know.

I also went contra dancing again. A few people said, “I love your mustache.” One person laughed out loud when she saw it. A friend, a boy wearing a skirt, asked, “Is this becoming a tradition now?”
“Yeah,” I said. “If guys can wear skirts, I can have a mustache!”
He smiled. I’m spreading the smiles with this project, oh yes I am. Bonus!
One woman asked what was up with the mustache. “Just for fun?”
“Um… it’s an art project… and, um, a social experiment,” I said.
“Oh!”
I think I will figure this out as I go along.

1 comment: